I love Life - I love Food!

I have always been loving food! There are already many authors writing about them and... Just thought of giving my share...

This blog is not commissioned by any 'official' bodies or companies and I will be bored if I am going to introduce you (again!) about those 'so-called popular' seafood from all the 'you-already-know-what' restaurants/sites...

My little humble aim is to share some beautiful delights that are hidden in all corners of the island, if not the globe (if I travel). Some of which you might already know... But, for those who are still not aware, I sincerely hope to share my experience with you. And another thing is - I love to cook!

Good food need not to be exclusive, exquisite or expensive. It is prepared by a totally committed heart with the passion for life!

I think I am fortunate... No, I AM FORTUNATE! Wanna thank all who has given me inspirations.

Eat as much as you can, please!

Thursday 5 March 2009

Fish Roe Porridge (鱼卵粥)

I love porridge.

A meal that could be Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and even Supper. Light and refreshing with your favorite condiments and sometimes with specific sauce or chillies. Porridge may look simple but the art of making a good base (plain porridge 明火白粥)takes effort and special 'recipe' such as boiling rice in specific stock instead of plain water. These stock(高汤)are often 'broth' made from long hours of simmering with bones of chicken, pork, chinese anchovies(江鱼仔), beef or other kind of seafood and beans. The taste will totally depend on the chef!


Frankly, this is the first time I had Fish Roe Porridge. I have taken fish roe and porridge separately but have never thought of the simplest version of having the roe in the porridge itself. The reason is simple - The taste could be too 'raw or fishy' to swallow. I was still skeptical at the point when I was buying it.

It looks simple enough - Just lots of roe at the bottom of the bowl and topped up with plain white porridge with strips of ginger, a sprinkle of spring onion and a grab of a few pieces of fried Yu-tiao(油条). (And so it looks...)


I give it a good stir and taste my first spoonful of porridge... I am surprise that the so-called plain porridge could be so tasty, smooth and full of flavor! Then I remembered what my mom told me about the making of 'special' plain porridge... I proceed with my first bite of the fish roe - it is soft and full with the typical seductive 'chewy' effect. The combination is marvel-licious!



The other good thing is that the stall-owner is such a generous man and your little bowl will actually be packed with more than enough fish roe for most of your bites. It is really a yummy unless you consider this as too much of an 'exotic delicacy'! Haha...


Let's tuck in...

Location : East Coast Lagoon Food Village

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.